Greg Cohoon (drmellow) wrote,
Greg Cohoon

NASCAR Weekend

Once again, I had a great time at the Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis. This year marked the 10th running of the race and I've been to every one of them. This year, I took Mrs. Mellow and her father. This year's race was one of the more enjoyable years to be there -- it was much, much, much more comfortable than the inferno that I suffered through last year.

I took Friday and Monday off of work to use as travel days and enjoyed race activities on Saturday and Sunday. The drive up on Friday was pretty uneventful. We stopped at Tamarack and enjoyed looking at all of the crafts available there. I even bought a book, Rough Lumber: Stories from Spurlock Creeek, because the author was there signing them. I ended up reading the book in its entirety (it's short and very enjoyable) during the trip. We ate lunch there, too. After that stop, we pretty much drove on out to Greensburg, IN, where our hotel was.

Saturday morning, we got up nice and early and headed to Indianapolis for the IROC race and Winston Cup practice and qualifying. That's also when we bought the handful of souvenirs that we wanted. I collect hat pins, so I picked up the hat pins I wanted. After a day at the track, we headed back to Greensburg for supper and a good night's sleep.

Supper was terrible -- we went to the restaurant right next to the hotel (Prime Time) and prepared for an enjoyable meal. It's where we ate on Friday night and where we ate when we were there last year, as well. On Saturday, the food was still fine, but they decided to have karaoke at about a bazillion decibels. If they had already been doing it when we showed up, we would have left and gone to Chili's, but they started it just after we finished our appetizers. We asked our waitress if it could be turned down and she asked the manager. They turned it down. But then, about 5 minutes later, they turned it back up. We got our entree to go and ate it at the hotel.

If you are ever in Greensburg, IN, do not eat at a restaurant called Prime Time. Better yet, stop in and tell them that you're going to eat at Chili's instead because they play their music too loud and have terrible customer service. That's what I'm planning on doing next year.

Sunday, we had a great time at the race. We left the hotel about a half-hour earlier than we did last year and ended up sitting in traffic for about an hour and a half less than we did last year. It really does make a difference. We were at the track in plenty of time (and the weather was nice), so we went on to our seats to enjoy the pre-race activities. The race itself was lots of fun, too. After the race, we headed back to the car and started home.

We drove until a little past Cincinnati and found a hotel for the night. We were all tired and slept well. We got up and on the road Monday morning and drove until we got to Greensboro.

All in all, it was a great weekend and I'm already looking forward to next year.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded