Greg Cohoon (drmellow) wrote,
Greg Cohoon

  • Music:

Back From Charlotte

I'm back from my adventure at the Derek Trucks Band show at The Visulite Theatre in Charlotte last night. It was one of the best dTb shows I've seen or heard to date.

I left work a little bit early so that we'd be able to get to Charlotte in plenty of time before the show. Even so, we were a little late leaving, but we still got to Charlotte in plenty of time. In fact, we would have been first in line had I not dallied about getting a few things out of the car. Just like when we were there for New Year's Eve, I was able to park directly in front of the venue. That was great. Anyway, a couple of other people walked up and started the line about ten seconds before we got to the doors.

So we stood in line for the hour before the doors opened, anticipation growing. We got a chance to chat with several other people in the line and made some new friends. I even had a short chat with Kofi's parents (Kofi plays flute and keyboards for the band), who came to see the show. Once inside, we were able to get great seats against the front rail, where we'd have a clear view of the stage. Again, we had a chance to meet a couple of other fans who were as excited about the show as we were. In this case, it was a couple from Mount Airy -- so they had an even longer drive than we did. It seems like everyone we chatted with before the show were big fans and had either seen the band several times, or was the guest of a friend who had seen the band several times.

About twenty minutes later than the posted show time, the band came out and played a great set. They took a short intermission and came out and played another great set. They were all in a great groove and you could tell they were having a great time. They seemed well-rested from their recent Japan tour. There were several tapers recording the show -- I think I counted at least four mic rigs -- so I'm really looking forward to some high-quality sources once the tapes get processed.

After the show, I headed outside to try to get some autographs from the rest of the band that I wasn't able to get autographs from while at the Raleigh show. I was successful -- the entire band was very gracious in mingling with the fans, signing autographs and just chatting with everyone who wanted to chat. I also chatted with a few members of the dTb support crew, who were also very friendly with the fans. I came away from the show with a signed photo of Derek and me from last year's Ziggy's show, a pickguard signed by all members of the band, and an autographed Yonrico Scott Band CD cover.

All in all, the show was great and being able to mingle with the humble and gracious band members after the show was a joy. On the way back home, we ended up finding ourselves driving next to the band's bus. I guess the time we spent stopped at Waffle House was enough time for the bus to catch up from the head start we had. We got to our exit and headed back to the house. The bus continued up I-85 north -- headed to Baltimore, where they're playing tonight.

Once again, I heartily recommend seeing this band live if you ever get the chance.

Now, there is lots of stuff for me to do today, and I've already slept through half of it.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded