As per memeage from tldz:
List five songs that you are currently digging... It doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words or even if they're any good but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artist and the song in your blog along with your five songs. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to.
(All links in my list are to the iTunes Music Store.)
- Highway Patrolman by Bruce Springsteen -- A great song that tells a great story and tells it well. Whenever I listen to this song, I end up listening to it dozens of times. Johnny Cash's version is OK, but Bruce really nails it.
- Darby's Castle by Kris Kristofferson -- Like Highway Patrolman, this is another haunting one that I end up listening to repeatedly whenver I hear it. I keep it on a short playlist on my iPod so I can get to it quickly.
- Volunteered Slavery by The Derek Trucks Band -- I love me some DTB, and Volunteered Slavery has some great flute work by Kofi that I really enjoy digging to.
- Whipping Post by The Allman Brothers -- I've been listening to a lot of ABB lately, as I recently received a copy of the entire 2005 Beacon Theatre run. Whenever I hear that signature bass intro, I just have to crank it up. The extended instrumental in the middle of the song provides a killer grove. And, really, sometimes I feel like I've been tied to the whipping post.
- Funny How Time Slips Away by Willie Nelson -- I'm gearing up to see Willie Nelson (and Bob Dylan) on Saturday, so I've been listening to some old Willie to help build the anticipation. Funny How Time Slips Away is one of my favorites of his songs. It tells a story, but it does it by presenting you with one side of a conversation. It's good stuff.
In general, I like to listen to songs that either tell a good story, or have a good instrumental groove.
To pass along the meme, I tag the following people to chime in with their own five-song list.