I whipped up my trap in about 15 minutes last night. Here's what I did:
- Puncture each end of a soup can, drain the soup.
- Thread a coat hanger through the soup can.
- Attach the coat hanger to the bucket, adjusting length of coat hanger as necessary. I bent the hanger so that the top of the soup can is a little lower than the lip of the bucket.
- Put enough water in the bucket to drown a mouse.
- Coat the can with a strip of peanut butter. (The instructions I found said to use bacon, but bacon is too precious to feed to mice.)
- Place the bucket in the basement and build a ramp to the lip of the bucket. Put some peanut butter on the end of the ramp.
- Go away.
- Come back later to find a mouse.
The can situated over the water in the bucket:
Close-up of the coat hanger on the bucket (outside):
Close-up of the coat hanger on the bucket (inside):
The captured mouse: